Show and Tell (3/12/16)

I had fun this week, playing. I tried new ideas and spent time just enjoying all the sewing and such that I could fit into my week. It was sooooooooooooo nice.

One of the first things I worked on this week, was a wallet. I needed a wallet, because I was using a ziploc bag to carry around my cards and cash. Yeah. Absolutely ridiculous for someone who can stitch something up easily. It was embarrassing.


Simple Wallet


So I put this together. I've been using it this week and I can tell I need to tweak some of the components, but overall I'm very pleased. It fits my cards, my cash and my phone, which was what I was going for. I am going to change up the closure system though. I'm thinking elastic maybe. Perhaps I should consider a button. I tried to felt some wool to use for the closure, but it didn't work out the way I hoped it would.

The fabric is some of the scraps from my handpainted tote bags.


All the pins!!!

Here are all the components ready to be stitched up.  I know now that my divider inside the wallet needs to be a slightly different dimension. It works, but it could be a tad smaller. However, I am so happy I finally have a real wallet. I no longer have shame when I pull out my payment at stores!

April Bag by Elizabeth Hartman for Sew Mama Sew

I stitched up this April bag this week as well. You can see more about that process here. It's IKEA canvas, I really wanted to work with something bright!


Hand painted Fabric drying (in my poorly lit basement)


I painted some more fabric this week, and I went for different effect than the last round. 

Fabric after drying. Wadded up. But in better light.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm excited to start sewing with it in the next week.


Drawstring pouch

I up-cycled an old pillow case into this simple drawstring pouch. I did not turn out how I had envisioned, but once complete I realized it was shaped like a strawberry, so with appropriate fabric it could be very cute. 

Hand printed motif set on Hand painted fabric

I also experimented with putting some of my newly made fabric into frames. I have been so indecisive about the best use of these folk flowers, and I finally decided to cut into one of my hexagons and make something! This was a gift for a dear friend, and I am happy with how it came together.

I did a bit of drawing as well. 

Windows in my neighborhood no. 1

Windows in my neighborhood no. 2

There are a lot of old houses in my neighborhood, where residents over the years have either completely gotten rid of windows in their homes or have severely cut down on the size of the window and have boarded the rest. You make due. I felt compelled to draw some of what I was seeing out of my own windows.

My lino is not what I was going for, and I don't know how to get it on track! So, I've been avoiding it. I know that is not how you fix problems, but, it's the only way I know how to deal with it at the moment. 

It looks kinda evil to me....

So that is what I've been up to this week! That and a butterfly, but check out Friday's post for that.

Linked up to Off the wall Friday. :)