Friday, May 6, 2016

Patchwork Play

I have been inching to play with patchwork this week.

HOWEVER, my modern machine was in the shop, and when I picked it up on Wednesday it would no longer sew for me at all (!!!!), so it is in the shop again. Ugh. Very frustrating.

I love stitching on my featherweight, but I struggle with keeping a quarter inch seam allowance without some of the features of my modern machine. I got used to a patchwork foot and it's hard to go back!

So, I didn't want to work on the blocks that have been building up in my to do pile (mainly Sugar Block Club BOM), since I wasn't sure I would be able to keep my seam allowances in check.

I decided to go through my scrap bins and make up something as I went along.



This is what I finished up.


Some tiny piecing (for me at least)


It is destined to become another mug rug I think. Or a Mini of some sort. Once I get my modern machine back (again) I will quilt her up. I'm thinking matchstick quilting? Or something completely different.

I have been seriously discouraged about my sew machine situation. I'm sewing on a 12 year old Brother CS6000, that no longer makes bobbins (thank goodness for my sidewinder). It drives me nuts. It has a pretty small harp space, so anything bulky is a pain. I'm over it. However there are features that I have gotten accustomed to that I want in my next sewing machine. Like speed control, and automatic needle down.

So investing in the maintenance for this machine that I don't even want anymore is discouraging. Especially since I can buy the current equivalent for 150$ and I paid 90$ for the servicing. URGGG.

I hope to get a new machine by the end of the year, I'm thinking either a Janome or a Juki. What do you sew on, and do you like it?

Linking up at NTT, Finish it up Friday, and Off the Wall Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Mary M. from MinnesotaMay 11, 2016 at 11:23 PM

    I have a Janome Memory Craft 6500 that works very well for me. And I have a friend with a Juki that has a beautiful quilting stitch. If you're looking for a machine for piecing and quilting (not even a zig-zag stitch on my friend's Juki), I don't think you can go wrong with either a Janome or Juki. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete