Monday, June 20, 2016

On hope and the creative process






Lately, I've been thinking a lot about hope, and it's part in the creative process. I've been putting together thoughts about how hope drives my making.

My first thought with this idea of making things as an outpouring of hope, was "I'm sure someone else has already made this connection, and has better articulated it." I was right. I discovered Sister Corita Kent.




So, I quickly checked out two books featuring the works and ideas of Corita Kent, and they did not disappoint. Her words contain so many gems, that I have started to think, but that she clearly lays out, and seemed to live out, in such a graceful way. 

Another quote that kept springing to mind, to mix in with this flurry of thoughts, was from one of my favorite Sufjan Stevens songs. In his song Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid), there is a line that has always resonated with me. 




The song is soft, slow, and not so much hopeful. But this line connects something I have always believed, and something that the art and craft community act on daily.

So, what am I trying to say? What am I learning, connecting, and understanding from these ideas? Why post about these? 

I don't know, is the short answer, and one that I use frequently in life. 

But these ideas are drawing me out, and helping me become more of who God has created me to be. 

Hope is my struggle. It does not come easily for me, and I have often approached it wearily and cautiously. 

So, as I more and more understand that hope is in the essence of my making of things...

Well, it's a bit baffling, but it explains so much. It explains why I turn away from creating things, when I feel hopeless and depressed. 

So, I am learning. This is part of the creative process for me. 

This inner dialogue is still percolating and waiting on the God's wisdom for what it all means for me. 

1 comment:

  1. I found your words so beautiful and honest: "Hope is my struggle. It does not come easily for me, and I have often approached it wearily and cautiously."

    I'm so glad you know and love the God who gives us hope when it's hard to muster up ourselves!

    ReplyDelete