Monday, January 9, 2017

My first Sampler quilt

I've decided to join along with the Penny Sampler over at Stitched in Color this year. I hemmed and hawed a bit, since I'm not sure I should be adding to my commitments, but the Penny Sampler won out. I've loved this quilt for a long time and I didn't want to miss my chance at making it. I've joined in the 12 month plan, so I could go slow and (hopefully) steady.

This weekend I've been playing with my color story. I decided to play with a vintage scrapy look. I made this pinterest board to get a feel for what I liked and didn't like.

Some of my favorites surprised me.

Found here 
The scrap factor on this quilt is crazy! But I really loved it. I like the pops of red, and all of the saturated colors. 

FOUR PATCH CONCENTRIC FRAMES VINTAGE QUILT:
Found here 

The red on this one delighted me even more!

This inviting country-style bedroom is given a fresh flare with the pale grey damask wallpaper. Do you like the combination?:
found here
The dark colors mixed with brights drew me to this one. 

So I went though my fabric and pulled out anything that read vintage to me on first glance. 

The photo is kinda crummy but you get the idea.

I need to figure out solids to pair with what's I've pulled. I'm leaning towards some very light pastels, and some more 'faded' saturated colors in blue and green. I'd like to hear what anyone thinks! I'd love some input. 

3 comments:

  1. I think you're off to a great start with that fabric pull. I'm going to have to live vicariously through your quilt because I really WANT to make a vintage-y scrappy quilt at the moment. I think you want to be sure to use a sprinkle of fairly dark fabrics, navy-almost black or black. I see those in all 3 quilts. None of your inspiration pieces have much green that I can see. I also recommend some true blues and more aqua blues. I see lots of blues in these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your insights! The solids I've decided to add are Kona - Ivory, Butter, Buttercup, Chinese Red, Denim, Windsor, and Robin Egg. So, I'll have a dark blue, as well as some other blues/aquas. I also decided to get some gingham in black, blue, and red. I'm keeping my eye out for a nice dark plaid as well. Thanks again for the input!

      Delete
  2. I love that second quilt too! Reading your response to Rachel I like the sound of the solids you are adding a lot and really look forward to seeing how they play together with your prints.

    ReplyDelete