Friday, July 15, 2016

Finished with Love

I haven't been sharing much of what I've made in this space lately, but I do have some finishes this past month that I am pretty pleased with.

My cousin had her twin baby boys 3 weeks ago at 34 weeks, which meant that they have been spending some time in the NICU before they can go home. I stitched up some baby stuff for her shower (you can check those out in this post), but nothing that would be overly helpful in the NICU. So I searched online and found this awesome free pattern for babies that are spending time in the hospital.




They are soft, and fun. The pattern is scaled to also fit bigger babies, and I can definitely imagine making these for full term babies in the future as well. 

I also really wanted to make my cousin a bag, something just for her and not just about her babies. I wanted her to be able to carry around the love and prayers that I have for her. I used a pattern from the book Sewing Stylish Handbags and Totes By Choly Knight. I'm very happy with the result, and I was delighted that my Cousin loves it, and has been using it for most of her time in the NICU. 

I grabbed a photo at the hospital yesterday when I visited. 
I picked the "styled shoulder bag" pattern from the book,since I was unsure if she would prefer a shoulder bag or a crossbody bag, and this purse can go back and forth easily. I kept it simple, and didn't customize in any of the ways she displays in the book.

As I talked about in my previous post am I thinking more and more about what my hope is with each project I make. For the smocks and the bag my hope is having tangible objects made with love, that she can carry and wrap up her babes, will help her feel love and prayers I have for her and her family in this challenging time. 

Next up for me is sewing a wedding dress!!! (WHat?!?!??!!!) Yeah. #idontknowwhatimdoing

3 comments:

  1. Very thoughtful of you, I know from experience that having a prem baby is so very different from a full-term delivery and I am sure your gifts will be gratefully received.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who is expecting preterm twins sometime soon, too. I think I'll be making a version of this! I'm sure your friend loved her gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great gift for your cousin, those are so cute! I love the bag as well, very pretty and a great style. So nice.

    ReplyDelete